Staffing - Definition, Importance, Characteristics, and Types
The last time that you got rejected from your dream position, how did you feel? Did you doubt your knowledge, skill, or experience? That is what most people feel after getting rejected from an interview. But that is not how you should see a rejection; you probably were over-experienced for the position; who knows? Staffing is a very subjective process, and you may not even know the parameters that the recruiters are looking for. Okay, wait, what is staffing?
The process of hiring eligible candidates for your business or organization is called Staffing. In other words, the recruitment process after evaluating the skills and knowledge required for the role is called staffing.
An organization is what the employees do, deliver, and function. This makes staffing a very important process and sometimes very critical too. Here are some more reasons why staffing is important.
- Why is staffing important?
- Characteristics of staffing
- How is staffing done?
- Types of staffing
- Staffing agency
- Situations when staffing agency is most helpful
- What do staffing agencies do?
Why is staffing important?
- To work as a whole: the functioning of an organization is possible only when everything goes hand-in-hand. The CEO cannot function if he doesn't have any subordinates to take orders. On the other hand, planning is important, and on the other hand, its execution is important as well. Competent employees are responsible for the functioning of the organization.
- To use technology effectively: while these two may look disjoint functions, i.e., technology and staffing, it isn't. Qualified employees use the technology to enhance the workflow and increase their productivity. Organizations invest a lot of money in staying up-to-date with the technology but will serve no purpose if you don't have staff that may use it to its fullest.
- Optimum utilization of Human Resources: a lot of investment takes place in the recruitment and training of the employees. Staffing should be done properly if you want optimum results from your staff.
- Job satisfaction increases and such people will go out of their way to show amazing results.
- Isn't it important to work in an environment high on energy and positive to build morale? When staffing is done effectively, the recruiters can see whether they are positive enough to work with them. Here, you wouldn't want to hire someone who is under confident or unfit for your organization because it will not only be a loss because of a single person, but such people will also ruin others' moods.
Characteristics of staffing
Staffing is done to hire people for suitable positions. Any organization has three categories of jobs; blue & white collar, professionals, and managerial & non-managerial positions. Blue-collar workers: people who are hired to work on machines are called blue-collar workers. White-collar workers: clerical employees that work on desks. People often dream of getting white-collar jobs.
A manager's job:
Every organization has a Human Resource Manager, and the sole responsibility of an HR Manager is to actively monitor whether the employees are doing their jobs properly or not. Otherwise, the HR assigns them some other work or, in worst cases, fires them. In the absence of HR Managers, these activities are performed by Departmental Managers or Chief Executives.
Improves intra-organization relations:
When staffing is done properly, like-minded people are hired, enhancing employees' moods. Get-together parties are also held to maintain a good bond among the employees.
Makes enhancing skills easier:
Organizations continually train their employees to work with new technological evolutions and marketing standards. Managers mainly do this work by arranging workshops.
How is staffing done?
If you ask a Human Resource Manager of any company, 'what is the greatest resource of your company,' they will surely say, 'our human resource.' This is so true because, as said earlier, even if a company has top-notch technology, it is the human resource that will use these technologies to bring results.
To ensure that every person in your company is a right fit according to their ability and specializations, staffing is very important and should be done continuously. To make this process easier, we have listed down the following steps to get the staffing done:
Planning your company size:
Before actually recruiting employees, you should decide how many people must smoothly run your company. Another thing to decide is the qualities and talents that your company requires. To make this easy, analyze the workload and workforce, and compare them.
Recruiting and selecting:
Running advertisements across various media to entice people to apply for jobs in your company is called recruiting. Answer the question, 'why people should join your company' to get prospective applications. Some of the places where this can take place are LinkedIn, Facebook, Newspaper, etc. Search for the platforms where your ideal employee may hang out.
Now that you have got loads of applications, it is time to eliminate unqualified candidates. Select the candidate that has the right qualities and specializations that you decided on in the first step. Take time in selecting the right candidate, as this is a crucial step and may make or break your investment.
Placement and training:
After selecting the right fit for your company, you will now hire the employee and introduce him to his job. This employee may know what the job demands from him, but you should train him at the beginning or at regular intervals to accompany your company's working style. This way, your employees will remain updated, and your investment in recruiting, again and again, will decrease drastically. When employees learn continuously, they deliver better.
Development and promotion of employees:
You should provide good development opportunities to your employees. Otherwise, you may lose some good and competent employees. When you train your employees regularly, you are upgrading them. In addition, your staffing policy should provide your employees a lot of promotion opportunities. Everybody wants to improve and reach higher heights in their lives, and when you provide such opportunities, you are enabling them to do so.
- Transfer: Here comes your Human Resource Manager into action. When your HR feels that a particular person is good at doing something else, he/she is transferred to another department without increasing the salary. This step also emphasizes that staffing should take place continuously to bring the most out of your employees.
- Appraisal: Managers of different departments analyze whether their subordinates are working according to the job assigned to them or not. They give feedback to their subordinates, telling them the areas that they need to work in.
- Determining the salary: This brings us to the end of this process of staffing. How would you determine the pay of your employees? You should consider many factors like your employee's skills, education, experience, inflation, etc. you should also reward them with an increase in their salary regularly to boost up their morale.
Types of staffing
You would not want to hire some people forever. Some job requirements are just seasonal. There are three types of service that you would want for your company:
When someone is hired for short-term, they are called temporary staff. These people are recruited either on short notice or were on the to-hire list. This helps to maintain the workflow. Sometimes temporary employees are hired as permanent staff when the organization likes their work.
Long-term staff or project-wise:
These staff work until the day they commit a mistake. Just kidding, these people don't have a certain day when they would leave the company. Sometimes you would require a specialist for a particular project, which is when such staffing will occur.
Temporary to permanent(contractual):
Don't confuse this with the temporary staff. Organizations hire such people intending to check whether the staff is competent enough to be hired as permanent employees or not. Since they work on a short-term contract, it is safe to keep experimenting with such people. Another benefit of such staffing is that when you keep hiring and firing people, this will alert other employees to give their best.
Did you know there are agencies whose sole purpose is to fulfill the hiring requirements of a company? Yes, and they are not rare to find. Here is a list of leading priorities for staffing firms worldwide in 2021.
Who opts for a staffing agency? When business owners are overwhelmed by the long and tiring staffing process, they outsource this to a staffing agency. Since it is easy to outsource this responsibility, officials often tend to do so, especially when they want short-term work.
Situations when staffing agency is most helpful
- A sudden increase in the workload of your company
- If you are in a seasonal business
- When you are looking for a very specific type of talent
- You don't want to invest in an HR department
You can easily find agencies that focus only on your industry or the post you want to get filled.
What do staffing agencies do?
Staffing agencies give staffing solutions where you find professionals that may hire. When you contact a staffing agency to avail of their services, they do the following:
- Analyze your company's workload and determine the workforce.
- Take interviews and select the right professional after shortlisting.
- Draft a contract envisioning the safety of both the parties, i.e., the company and the professional, to be hired.
- Sometimes staffing agencies train them to fill in the gaps.
- They regularly check whether the company is facing issues with the staff they hired through the agency. In that case, the agency replaces the candidate with another professional.
As Julie Bevacqua said, "To build a rewarding employee experience, you need to understand what matters most to your people." you can regularly ask your employees to take behavioral tests to understand their natural drives, increase self-awareness of their strengths, and caution. You can refer to this test. We have seen what staffing means, why it is important, and what the benefits are. We have also given a step-by-step process to follow while staffing your company.
About the author
Dennis Hoinkis has been working as a web developer and in online marketing since 1998. After building up a marketing agency and the exit in 2013, he consulted international groups as a freelance consultant. Since 2022, he and his team now offer staffing services in this field.
Dennis Hoinkis CEO, GLOMASTCO Ltd.